How to get from Budapest Airport to the city centre? This guide lists all the options: get from Liszt Ferenc Airport to the city centre by taxi, bus, underground, train, and airport shuttle.
Where is Budapest Airport?
- The address of Budapest Airport, called Liszt Ferenc International Airport, is Budapest 1185 Ferihegy. The airport is 16 kilometres (9.9 mi) southeast of the centre of Budapest.
Is Budapest Airport open?
- The airport is open every day 0-24 hours, even during the current Covid situation.
How far is the Budapest Airport from the city centre?
- The airport is 21 kilometres from the city centre (Deák tér) by car, which takes about 30-40 minutes, depending on traffic and time of day.
- There is a dedicated airport expressway for cars available from the city centre. The expressway is a separate road without public traffic.
How many terminals are at Budapest Airport?
- Budapest Airport has two terminals for both arrivals and departures, Terminal A2 and Terminal B2.
- Terminal 1 is closed for the public; only charter and private flights can use it.
- Terminal 2A is in use for flights inside the Schengen Area (EU).
- Terminal 2B is in use for flights outside the Schengen Area (EU).
- Lufthansa, Turkish Airlines, Wizz Air, Air France, LOT, Eurowings use mainly Terminal 2A. While Ryanair, Qatar Airways, Emirates are using Terminal 2B.
How to get from Budapest Airport to the city centre?
Budapest Airport to the city centre by taxi
- The city centre can be reached quite easily by taxi; the airport’s official partner is Főtaxi, thanks to which you can request a cab directly to the terminal entrances by calling their phone number or speaking to their dispatcher on +36 1 222 2 222.
- Főtaxi claims that they employ trained taxi drivers who speak at least one foreign language. All cabs accept payment by credit card. If you pay by cash, insist on paying in Hungarian Forints.
- Passengers arriving at the airport can get a cab at the entrances to Terminals 2A and 2B. Taxis will be waiting for passengers at the taxi ranks in front of the stands.
- In Hungary, the taxi regulations set the service charge at HUF 300 per km (EUR 0.95 per km), in addition to a one-off basic charge of HUF 700 (EUR 2.20) plus a waiting fee. The fare to the city centre will be around HUF 7,200 (EUR 20).
- Avoid using other, non-contracted taxi companies, which may offer their services in the terminal building.
Budapest Airport to the city centre by miniBUD airport shuttle
- MiniBUD airport shuttle is also an easy way to get to the city centre, starting from HUF 1,900 (EUR 6). Once your flight has arrived, you can find miniBUD customer service counters at the exits. You can expand your booking with the purchase of Budapest Card, a package of services for tourists visiting Budapest, offering discounts.
Budapest Airport to the city centre by bus and underground
- Bus 100E provides a direct connection between Liszt Ferenc International Airport and Budapest city centre (Deák Ferenc tér). It runs every 30 minutes, 4 am – 9 pm every day. The ticket costs HUF 900 (3 EUR).
- You can get from Budapest Airport to the city centre by bus and underground too; the journey can take 1 hour. BKK (Budapest Transport Organiser) tickets and season tickets are valid on the route. You can buy public transport tickets online through the BKK phone app, on the buses and vending machines at stops. You can watch an instructional video on how to buy tickets from vending machines. A regular ticket costs HUF 350 (EUR 1).
- First, you have to walk to the bus stop at Terminal 2, to take bus number 200E. Bus 200E runs day and night between Terminal 2 and Határ út/Kőbánya-Kispest. From Határ út/Kőbánya-Kispest metro station you can get to the city centre by metro M3. However, currently (since 24 July 2021) Metro replacement buses run between Kőbánya-Kispest and Göncz Árpád városközpont. During the night (from 23:00 to 4:00), night buses 914, 914A, 950 and 950A will continue to the city centre. Buses run every 10 minutes during the day and metro trains every 5 minutes within the city.
Map and timetables:
- From the airport to the city centre by public transport
- Schedule of bus 100E
- Schedule of bus 200E
- Schedule of M3 Metro replacement bus
Budapest Airport to the city centre by train
- The nearest train station to Terminal 2 of the airport is called Ferihegy railway station, which has trains to and from Nyugati (translates West ) station. Almost a hundred trains a day make it easy to get to and from the airport from the city in 15-20 minutes for just a few hundred forints. You can buy tickets at the airport, online, or even at the station.
How to get from Budapest Airport to Népliget bus station?
- You can get from the airport to Népliget bus station by taxi; the fare is about HUF 7,200 (EUR 20). You can also get there by public transport, taking the 200E bus to Kőbánya-Kispest station, where you would alight to the M3 metro line towards the city centre. Népliget station is the 4th stop.
Where to park near Budapest Airport by car?
In principle, parking is free of charge for 5 minutes in the Premium Car Park, Arrival Pick-up and Terminal Car Park of Terminal 2 without ticket validation, up to twice a day, including access to any of our car parks.
In addition, the airport has five car parks, the first of which is the Premium car park located directly in front of the terminal entrances, guarded by a camera and a barrier, with an hourly fee of HUF 3,000 (9 EUR). In addition, there is a terminal car park located 2-4 minutes walk from the main entrance, also guarded, for HUF 1,300 (4 EUR) per hour. There is also a so-called Holiday car park, 4-9 minutes walk from the main entrance, useful for trips, with a daily fee of HUF 3,500 (10 EUR) per day for the first day. The Holiday Lite car park costs HUF 800 (2 EUR) per day; it is a 10-minute walk from the airport.
Which hotels are near Budapest Airport?
There are hotels within a 5 km radius of the airport. 3-star ibis Styles Budapest Airport is only 300 metres away; the 4-star Airport Hotel Budapest is 2.5 km away, and 4-star Budapest Airport Hotel Stáció Superior Wellness & Conference is 3.7 km away from the airport.